Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Math is in full "spring!"

Hello Everyone!
We are loving math lately!!  A couple of our favorite things we have done this week are our "Are You My Mother?" game and our "Scrambled Math." 
Our "Are You My Mother?" game came after reading the book by PD Eastman. The object of the game was to solve math problems to create a path for the baby bird to get to his mother. The kids each got a plastic egg with a number sentence  inside.  We took turns solving the problems and placing our eggs on the 120 board until a path was created!  Kids loved it!!  Lots of math talk!!



 







Our second favorite thing we did so far this week is "Scramble Math." We used oversized letter tiles similar to scrabble and created words.  Adding up the points for each word provided some practice with all the addition strategies we need to keep fresh! 







This game along with a ton more including an individual version of the Scramble Math are part of the packet I posted last week, but in case you missed it...

Finally I want to share what is going into my math tubs next week.  Lots of fun Spring math with a focus on comparing numbers to 120, with lots of opportunity for kids to talk math!!
Here are a few pics from the Spring Fling Packet.








If you would like to add some fun springtime math to your day,
There are six activities (28 pages) for your kids to enjoy!

I can't wait to share what we've been working on the past couple of weeks in writing!!  I am so proud of the work the kids are doing!!  So stay tuned!!!
Thanks for stopping by on this busy night. I appreciate you!! Your support keeps me sharing!! 
Joyfully!!
Nancy







6 comments:

  1. Just when I was about to sit down and plan some fun math for the week before Spring break....you are an absolute angel for offering us these great ideas!!!!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to do the Are you My Mother activity!! Thanks for sharing. I love that adorable book and next week we are reviewing numbers to 120!!! Perfect timing!! Thanks for sharing .
    Melissa
    Keep Calm and Love First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just what we are working on! You have a gift for making math practice fun. Thanks

    Margie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Nancy for sharing these activities. I am always impressed with your creativity! We are working on understanding numbers to 100 right now and your activities tie in perfectly. I am a Canadian teacher and in BC, grade ones work on numbers to 50 and grade twos on numbers to 100. This year, I have a combined class. I was wondering if you could share a blank version of the red and orange peeps (just the first two pages) and the eggs for "Crack the Eggs" so that I could use lower numbers to tie in with my curriculum. Thanks, Linda lott@telus.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I scream on the mountain tops...you are beyond A.MAZ.ING! Thanks so much for sharing your creativity, time and resources. I love using your ideas with my kiddos. They always have so much fun and the learning is unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always have the best activities! Thank you so much!
    Teachin' First

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!