Monday, January 14, 2013

If the Mitten Fits...

Hello Everyone!!
Just a quick post tonight! Making a yummy dinner tonight and I'm just waiting for the oven to heat up!  Today we worked hard on "Bridging to 10" in math.  Our whole group activity was called "If the Mitten fits..."  It fits right along with our literacy unit for this week on "The Mitten."  I  put together some large mittens with two 10 frames on each, to show an addition fact. Along with those, I made some hand shapes with two ten frames as well.  The hand ten frames shows the same number of dots as the mitten, but the top ten frame shows that some of the dots had moved up to the top 10 frame.  This visually shows kids the ease of creating a bridge to 10... and bridging or making a ten makes for easier addition! Now that that is as clear as mud, here are some pics from the mini unit.







And here are some pics of it in action!






Sorry I couldn't get this pic to rotate or flip!!
 :(


for a copy of this 16 page Bridging to 10 activity, put your mittens on and click here!!


That's it for tonight!!!  Let me know if this was helpful at all.  The kids were engaged and some who hadn't gotten the concept before, got it this time!!!  YAY!!

Have a great evening!!
Joyfully!
Nancy

10 comments:

  1. Love!!! This will be a great review and will hopefully help those that didnt get it last time.

    Sarah
    Mackey'sClassroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a great review! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is AWESOME!!!!! I am going to use it right away!! Thanks so much!

    Becky
    Compassionate Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is perfect ! We are doing The Mitten right now & bridging to 10 next week :) Thanks for sharing!!

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect timing. I am on my phone so I will have to do this tomorrow. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing! This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for always sharing such AMAZING things! I just introduced this in class yesterday. This is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nancy!

    I am preparing to use this unit, but when I print it none of the mitten pages print. The hands are the only ones. Did anyone else have this problem or is it just me????

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Krissysue,
    I am so sorry it is not printing right for you. I can try to send it by e-mail if you would like. nancyvb1@gmail.com
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!