Monday, September 10, 2012

Life size ten frame

Hello Everyone!
Our math objectives for the first couple of weeks of school are to have students recognize quantities without counting, recognizing structured quantities up to 10, and applying mathematical process standards to represent and compare whole numbers.  We are using a lot of dice, dominoes and ten frames to build our number sense.  Today we practiced using a ten frame. The fun part was that it was life size!  I saw a cute idea about using tape on the carpet to map out a ten frame, but I wanted one that I could pick up and move, use in a math tub, etc.  So, for about a dollar, I made two frames out of a shower curtain liner and some painter's tape! The markers or counters were the kids!! We practiced showing different quantities together, and then I broke the kids up into two groups and called out numbers.  they had to work together to be the first group to show that amount on their ten frames. Any time I can incorporate a kinesthetic approach to learning, I am going for it!!  We had so much fun!  I am sure this will be one the kids will ask to do over and over!
Cut a shower curtain liner in half so you have two rectangles.

Tape off the ten frame


 A life size visual of quantifying and subitizing!
 Give it a try!!
Joyfully!
Nancy

5 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic idea! I will definitely share with my first grade teacher colleagues, and it's something I can use with my struggling second graders.

    Jenny
    Happy Literacy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love this idea. I have to make it.
    Tammy
    Primary Paradise

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I love using ten frames in so many ways outside of math class as well. Thanks for the tip!
    Dynelle

    http://firstgradefunmrsdunn.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a great idea! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great way to teach ten frames!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!